Hey Ho, Let’s Go….
My Five Tracks of this (bi)weekly blog… (my excuse this time is that I have no wifi at home at the moment so I’m bootlegging in Starbucks at the moment!). Nothing older than 3 years on this week’s playlist files – I’ll see if I can get something a bit more old school on the next one!
1. War – Emily’s Army
2. A Lack of Understanding – The Vaccines
3. Unbelievers – Vampire Weekend
4. Mulholland Drive – The Gaslight Anthem
5. Want – Jawbreaker
1. I love this track because even though it’s dealing with some fairly important issues (greed, capitalism etc.) it seems to manage to do so whilst putting it against an upbeat pop-punk background. With the scratchy vocals of one of the Becker brothers (apologies for not knowing which!) propelling the song forward this is really a stand out track on their latest release. Fingers crossed that it’s going to be the next single!
Find it: ‘Lost At Seventeen’ – Emily’s Army (2013)
2. I have recently developed a deep appreciation for The Vaccines first album. I had always written it off before as too “indie/pop-rock” for me and dismissed it off hand because I associated it with things that I didn’t want to be associated with. Once I got over myself however and actually started to listen to all types of music I realised that this is actually a stellar song off a brilliant album.
Find it: ‘What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?’ – The Vaccines (2011)
3. And another sweet track from Vampire Weekend. This song is their latest single off their third album ‘Modern Vampires of the City’ and it doesn’t disappoint. Definitely one of the better tracks off the album, it does peter off in places but then tracks like this really make it worth listening to. Brilliant song from a band that shows it can deliver strokes of genius…
Find it: ‘Modern Vampires of the City’ – Vampire Weekend (2013)
4. Another track from a band that I had decided I didn’t like after listening to one track. Once again, after revisiting this band I discovered this track (at the suggestion of a friend) and found that I really enjoyed it. Laid back rock track with just enough heavy percussion/solid bass line to keep me happy.
Find it: ‘Handwritten’ – The Gaslight Anthem (2012)
5. And back to my usual. A nice punk-rock song to round the list off for this week. This song is reminiscent of Social Distortion mixed with Rise Against and is great to get yourself pumped up and ready to go. Once again introduced to me through a friend – definitely worth checking out.
Find it: Unfun (2010 Remastered Edition) – Jawbreaker (2010)